Friday, October 28, 2011

My Favorite Things


Do you know what I like best about epubbing?

Knowing my sales, and getting paid on time.

If you've published a book to Kindle or Nook, you've already gotten an email letting you know that August royalties will be dispersed soon. (If not, it's on the way!)

One of the biggest complaints I've heard from traditionally published authors (and have experienced myself) is the lack of information available to writers.

I just had to email my former publisher because I realized I haven't seen a statement in a while. I know I haven't "earned out" from my traditional deal, but I'd kind of like to know where I stand.

Simon and Schuster is working on this, and is now offering its authors a portal where they can see their sales numbers. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Still, it's nice to know that, at the end of each month (if I've sold enough copies), those BN and Amazon emails will hit my inbox and, within a few days, the money will be dispersed. I don't have to wait six months for the house to crunch numbers. I don't have to wait for a check to be cut. I don't have to wait for an agent to crunch numbers, take his/her cut, then send the rest my way. . . .

Whether they want to admit it or not, Simon and Schuster is following Amazon's lead in this. Information/Knowledge is power. Now that the information is available, maybe we'll start to see better royalty rates, and then maybe authors will get paid on time.

Anything that shifts the favor back to the writer is a good thing, and I'm glad to see Simon and Schuster adapting. :)

KK