Monday, October 24, 2011

Reading and Writing


So, despite the busy weekend, I still managed to churn out 3k words on the WIP. Probably more, but I did some deleting, too. 

I also spent some down time reading. I was completely sucked into Courtney Summers's SOME GIRLS ARE. 




I'm familiar with Courtney's work (I read her other books earlier this year), but I'd forgotten how completely immersed in her character's lives I get when I'm reading. It's not hard for me to put most books down, but I *never* seem to want to stop reading hers. They embody what it means to be a "page-turner."

I also admire Courtney's ability to put her characters through the muck. As authors, I think we're guilty of sometimes protecting our characters. We don't want bad things to happen to them. Bad things happen in Courtney's books, and then, just when you think it couldn't possibly get worse for the characters, it does.

I love how she pushes the boundaries. It makes me want to "up the ante" in my own writing.

Her books aren't for the faint of heart/spirit, but I *highly* recommend them.

I hope you had a productive weekend! :)

KK