Thursday, July 28, 2011

Uploading New Versions of Old Ebooks and a Plug


I know I've been talking a lot about DRM and "unpublishing" things lately, and it's nice to know that, in the event of an emergency, you can remove an ebook fairly quickly. I also want to briefly mention, though, that you do NOT have to unpublish your book every time you want to make a change.

Did you spot a typo? Find a formatting error?

Don't Unpublish! All you have to do is make the changes in your document and upload the new file to your book link (this works for both BN and Amazon). Your book won't go off sale, and within 24-48 hours the new version will be posted.

That’s it! Make the changes, upload the new file to the ebook link, and BAM! The new file will replace the old. Problem solved.

In fact, now that the DRM issue is taken care of, I have no plans to unpublish anything ever again. Unless, you know, I decide to go all J. D. Salinger on you guys. . . . Delete my books and slip into obscurity.

Anyway. While I have a free moment, I also want to post a link to a project by David Gaughran. It's called Let's Get Digital: How to Self-Publish and Why You Should.



It's available through Amazon for $2.99, but it's also FREE on Dave's website.

This is an invaluable resource for any aspiring author. $2.99 is practically nothing, and I love when people support their Indies, but if it's too much, I hope you'll at least check out the free version (and then maybe buy one of Dave's ebooks as a "thank you" for all the hard work he put into it). 

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

I'm one of the 33 bestselling indie authors Dave contacted (and I'm so glad he did!) to share my story. My story: 75 agent rejections, now approaching 10k CMH ebooks sold since March, and 92 days in the Teen Top 100 (books + ebooks). 



I tried to be more eloquent than this in the book, though. You know how I love my fragments and commas.

Dave's blog, in general, is a fantastic resource for any writer, so I hope you'll check him out!

KK