Monday, June 24, 2019

Boring!

In fiction, neutrality is B-O-R-I-N-G.

Readers want to feel something, and if there's no emotional weight involved in what's taking place on the page, the reader (sadly) won't be affected.


Man: "I made plans with my mother on Saturday. Do you and the kids want to tag along?"

Woman: "Whatever you want."

or

Man: "I made plans with my mother on Saturday. Do you and the kids want to tag along?"

Woman: "Absolutely not. I told you last time that I was never stepping foot in that house again."


In truth, reality is often "Whatever you want," but exciting fiction is not neutral; it's a determined "yes" and a firm "no." A "whatever you want" or the appearance of a neutral position would only work if something is happening behind the scenes to make this character pretend to be agreeable; even then, the reader will understand that "whatever you want" is still a firm "no."

So give your characters opinions and desires. Put them at odds with the supporting cast. Start those fights. Raise those stakes.

Above all: Be Brilliant!

~Katie~