Monday, January 5, 2015

Working on the Ending

I have been so looking forward to 2015 it's not even funny.

I know I'm not the only one, based on the sheer number of FB posts and tweets telling 2014 not to let the door hit it on the way out. Something in the universe, maybe, that made it an exceptionally difficult year? I don't know.

I love all the metaphors for a new year: a blank page, an empty book, a clean slate, etc.

And yes, this is all true . . . to an extent.

But what these first five days of 2015 have reminded me is that a new year doesn't necessarily mean all of our problems have gone away. 

There will be some carry-over--

unfinished business and unresolved problems. 

And maybe I got too caught up in the idea of goals and resolutions and fresh starts (I prefer "goals" to "resolutions," but that's just me). Maybe I set my expectations too high. 

Of course I want 2015 to be the best year ever. (Isn't that what we all want?) 

But now that it's here it's just as important to remember the backstory is there whether we claim it or not.

What's done is done. What's past is past. But it's there.

So while I'm not sure I subscribe to the notion that one can "start over" with a new year--since problems don't magically disappear at midnight--I do believe in being "masters of the page." 

We can't start over, but we can always work on the ending.   

And there's a lot of hope in that. :)

Be Brilliant!

~Katie~