Monday, October 19, 2020

Rules Are . . . There Ain't No Rules

I've offered A LOT of writing tips and tricks on this blog over the years. Some of these I've picked up through the classes I've taken or taught, the books I've read, the books I've written. . . . 

I tweet and retweet advice from authors All. The. Time. 

It's easy to sit back and think of these as "the rules."

But the truth is, in writing, there are no rules.

For every tweet I've sent out into the world, I've tweeted something in direct opposition. 

Write about what you know. 
No, write about what you want to know.

Avoid one-sentence paragraphs.
Write a one-word paragraph if you want to.

Enlist the help of beta readers.
Keep your writing close to you.

Readers want the happy ending.
No, readers want an ending they'll remember.

As much as we like to think we can turn writing into a science, there are no hard, fast rules, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something.

For every "rule" of writing, there is a successful writer who has broken it.

So whether you follow the rules or break them, give us the best of what you have to offer.

Be Brilliant!

~Katie~