Monday, August 6, 2018

On the Things That Hold Us Back

You know what? 

Those things in your life that you defend yourself against are most likely exactly what you need to get rid of to grow.

Case in point: after college, I was afraid to move away from my hometown for a long time. I loved it because it was comfortable and familiar. My friends and family were there. I knew the roads and traffic patterns and where to eat (and where not to eat). It was so safe, and we (as humans) all crave a certain degree of safety. What would happen if I let all of that go? I'd have to start over somewhere new. I would be in unfamiliar territory. My routines would change. My whole LIFE would change.

The truth? My life didn't change a whole lot when we moved to the city. I still had my routines. It didn't take long to learn the area. And the changes that DID occur were mostly positive. Turns out, I refused to move for all those years, but I needed that move to break free and grow as a person. A new city has given me the courage to branch out and try new things and learn more about who I am.

I'm not saying you should pack your bags and move (though maybe you should!) but that there are things in our lives that we are resistant to--dead-set against--and that these things could very well be holding us back in certain areas of our lives.

Recognize them, and try to remove them.

It could be scary . . .

but it could also be worth it.  





Be Brilliant!

~Katie~