Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Practicing What I Preach

5,200

That's the number of words I omitted from my WIP over the weekend.

Why?

Because I'd stalled. Because I hadn't been able to add anything legitimate to the story in several weeks. Because I wasn't happy with those words or where the narrative was heading. Because all of a sudden I was moving in a strange direction and didn't know how to make my next plot point work. 

I deleted the words because they weren't serving me or the story.

This is me practicing what I preach, because 


The first thing I tell my students or mentees when they're stuck 
is to go back to the last place they felt the "magic." 

When the words flowed freely.

When everything made sense.


Go back, and begin again.




I'm not going to lie, it hurt removing those 5,000 words, but maybe now I can get this story back under control.

Plus, it's not like the words are gone forever. I just moved them to a different section of my Scrivener file. I still have access, and if I find I need to re-incorporate a scene or two, I can.

But now I have a clean slate to work with. I'm not trying to force something that just doesn't want to happen.


Suffering from Writer's Block?

Tip: Return to the last place you felt the story was working and begin again. 


Be Brilliant!

~Katie~