Monday, February 25, 2019

On Momentum

I do a set of push-ups every night. I've been doing this for at least five or six months now. I do them at a time when there's really no excuse for me not to. Sometimes I've felt like not doing them--when I was sick or tired or just ready for the day to end--but, when this happens, I tell myself that if I don't do them today, I might not do them tomorrow. 

So while I can't get regular workout routines to stick (other than a daily walk), I've at least managed to keep this going. The reason? I don't give myself an "out." 

I know that this is an odd thing to share, but I correlate this with writing routines.

Life happens, to be sure. Things don't always work out the way we want them to, but if we give ourselves that "out" today [I'll just skip my writing practice. I'm too sick. Too tired. Too busy. Too (fill in the blank).] we're likely to give ourselves the same out the next day. And the next. Until weeks have passed and we have no work to show for our time. We've made no progress on our goals. We are no closer to reaching our dreams than we were when the idea first entered our head.

A little effort every day--added up--goes a long way.

Keep the momentum going. 

No caving in!

Be Brilliant!

~Katie~