Monday, October 12, 2020

On Likeability

I've talked about likeability on the blog before. In fact, one of the first rejections I received from a publisher (more than 15 years ago) was a pass because my heroine wasn't "likeable" enough. 

(Thank goodness they didn't meet Summer from All I Never Wanted).

But I wondered then and I've wondered since: when did we decide that we have to like the characters we read about?

In fact, Literature is strewn with the wreckage of wholly unlikeable characters. We know them, we remember them, and yes: the good writer actually made us feel for them.

The only rule of page turning is that readers are interested in the character and curious about what will happen next. 

That's it.

I don't want to go so far as to say it's easy to write a likeable character because creating a believable character in itself is difficult, but to entice a reader to want to get to know someone with few redeeming qualities?

Challenge Accepted.

Be Brilliant!

~Katie~